Northbound Voyage to the UK
Ship: • Departs: • Sail Date: Thursday 1st Jan 1970 • Duration: night
Cruise Code: A823
A springtime voyage via South Africa
Enjoy leisurely days at sea interrupted by wonderfully contrasting ports of call on Astor’s springtime voyage from Australia to the UK. Sail via Mauritius and Reunion in the Indian Ocean to Durban, Mossel Bay and Cape Town to discover highlights of South Africa. Walvis Bay is your gateway to the Namibian Desert, before visiting the Atlantic islands of St Helena and Gran Canaria. Casablanca and Lisbon are the finale to this remarkable voyage.
Begin to recharge your batteries as you enjoy wonderful days at sea relaxing on board Astor. Nestled between the sea and the mountains, Port Louis, on the stunning island of Mauritius, is a melting pot of varied cultures with historic colonial architecture and heritage. Next stop is Reunion, a beautiful island belonging to France with a coastline of beaches and resort towns. Durban has a string of white sand beaches known as the ‘Golden Mile’ and beautiful Mossel Bay is on the famous Garden Route. Cape Town is a picturesque city with the majestic Table Mountain visible from almost any vantage point. A trip to the summit by cable car offers breath taking views. A call in Walvis Bay, Namibia gives you the perfect opportunity to discover the spectacular wetlands intrinsic to the survival of thousands of migratory birds.
Arriving by ship into Jamestown on the isolated island of St Helena is a remarkable experience. Journey into the region’s unique legacy as the island where Napoleon was exiled by the British and died. Enjoy lazy days at sea as you cross the equator sailing north. From Las Palmas, the capital of Gran Canaria, you may opt to discover some of the island’s quieter corners and attractive old towns. Casablanca, Morocco’s largest city, is a fusion of Africa, Arabia and Europe with its wide boulevards, bazaars and imposing Hassan II Mosque. The Portuguese capital of Lisbon will delight you with its rich maritime heritage. Finally, after an unforgettable voyage Astor will arrive in Tilbury.
- Soak up the spectacular scenery of Mauritius including volcanic craters, deep gorges and cascading waterfalls surrounded by pristine beaches.
- Take the cable car trip up Table Mountain for a panoramic view of Cape Town or go wine tasting in nearby Paarl or Stellenbosch.
- View African wildlife in its natural habitat on an open top 4x4 game drive through a spectacular Game Reserve outside Durban or Mossel Bay.
- Walvis Bay Lagoon is renowned for its abundance of marine life, flamingos (in season). Pelicans and many other bird species.
- Discover the former 17th century British colony of St Helena, one of the most rugged and individual outposts on the world cruise map.
Highlights may be subject to pre-registering specific shore excursions and are subject to operation and weather conditions.